Thursday, March 31, 2011

Terrible two's...I think not!

Someone recently said to me that anyone who claims that the two's were so terrible must have sold their child before their third birthday. And that person is SO right. Parenting a 3 year old is, in short, exhausting. Physical. Mental. You name it. And if you are a parent...you know it!

So, I'm trying to undo some of the damage I have done by giving in to my little terrorist three-year old angel. I'm smart enough to know that if you say "NO" 10 times and then give in on the 11th, you are a moron. But the reality is, I am a tired, weary moron who just wants some peace, quiet and cooperation. Ok, so maybe I am not a moron, but it's no secret that I have been inconsistent and am paying the price. My baby daddy hasn't been much better.

Fortunately, I am finding that being consistent is actually quite empowering. I find myself thinking, "Hey! Good work, you!" as my little BMW (those are his initials...figured it might be as close as I ever get to a real BMW!) falls to the floor like a sack o'taters and spins around screaming as if he were Damian himself! But, to my delight, the more firm and consistent I am, the shorter those ridiculous scenes last.

Ya know he does have so many sweet moments. Like now for instance...I can hear him snoring on the monitor. As sweet as it gets. ;)

2 comments:

  1. LOL on selling child before 3rd birthday. I wonder how much two-year-olds go for?? Personally, I think it's the terrible ones, twos and threes. But wait, that's all the ages I've gone through so far. And mum friends of mine with older kids say it gets harder. WTF?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm experiencing some Drama Queen 3's myself. I just started reading your blog!!

    Great work Professor Kitkat!

    ReplyDelete